velocity-user mailing list archives

From Peter_F...@blm.gov
Subject Does Velocity have a shutdown mechanism?
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:09:30 GMT

I'm seeing a strange problem in Tomcat 6 when I undeploy an application
containing a servlet that starts a VelocityEngine. In the servlet's init()
code I create, configure and init() the VelocityEngine; the log file
reports that 20 engine threads have been created.

When I undeploy, the app doesn't disappear cleanly (after the undeploy,
clicking the List Applications button on the Tomcat Manager screen shows
that the app is still there, and the app is still in the webapps/
directory). I'm not sure but I think that the app isn't completely closing
because the Velocity threads are still running. (I'm working on comfirming
that this is the cause but at this time I can't be certain.)

Does the engine have a shutdown method that I can call from the servlet's
destroy() method? I don't see anything in the API documentation. Is there a
recommended way of telling a VelocityEngine to stop?