velocity-user mailing list archives

From Mark Fenbers <Mark.Fenb...@noaa.gov>
Subject Re: Velocity Logging
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:25:43 GMT

> ok, leaving method aside for the moment, what logging properties are
> you setting?

The only change I made to the Apache-supplied velocity.properties file
were to the runtime.log.logsystem.class property by eliminating the
supplied list and leaving only the Log4JLogChute.  And I changed
runtime.log to have a value of ./logs/velocity.log.  And these changes
do work.  In my code, I currently only do a
Velocity.init("bin/velocites.properties");  and I had to be explicit
where the file was because it wouldn't read it otherwise.
> did you set a property for runtime.log.logsystem.log4j.logger?  if so,
> then you are telling Velocity to send message there, rather than set
> up its own logger.  With Velocity's Log4jLogChute, the runtime.log
> property is only relevant if velocity is picking the logger.  We try
> to be a good citizen and not add file appender's to other people's
> loggers.

No, I didn't.  In the properties file, the only place where the string
"log4j" appears is in the Log4JLogChute line I mentioned above.  So does
this mean that velocity is picking its own logger?

Thanks for the help.  I am assuming you are asking your questions to
clarify your understanding of the situation with the ultimate goal in
mind to help me configure Velocity to use a different filename for each
instance of of app launched, right?

Mark