velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Velocity Logging
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:25:15 GMT
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Byron Foster <byron@base2.cc> wrote:
> Hi Mark, It's hard to tell what's going on without knowing more about how
> you are trying to run Velocity,

agreed.  it also helps to know what version you are using.

> but... You can set the log location
> programtically (which might give you some insight as to if your properties
> file is being read):
>
> org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.setProperty("runtime.log", "<thepath>");
>
> and the properties file is loaded with:
>
> org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.init("<the prop path>");
>
> If your running with VelocityServlet, you can set the location of the
> velocity properties file with
>
>    <init-param>
>      <param-name>org.apache.velocity.properties</param-name>
>      <param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.props</param-value>
>    </init-param>

if you are using the deprecated VelocityServlet, i suggest upgrading
to the VelocityViewServlet (in VelocityTools), which automatically
sends log messages to the servletContext.log() method, so you can find
your logs wherever your servlet engine of choice keeps them.