velocity-user mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject throws Exception ??????
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:13:35 GMT
I must admit I am surprised to see that many key methods of Velocity
such as Velocity.init() and Velocity.mergeTemplate() have a signature
includes that includes "throws Exception" which is what I would be
tempted to consider a beginner's mistake.  Certainly Joshua Bloch in
"Effective Java" indicates his distaste for the practice and it's
something I always try to avoid in my code.

Can someone explain why Velocity does it this way and an effective
strategy for wrapping this ugliness away someplace?