velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] VelocityTools 2.0-beta3 release
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 20:22:06 GMT
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Steve O'Hara
<sohara@pivotal-solutions.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Nathan
>
> Excellent work as always, very much appreciated.
>
> However, a method that appears to have been dropped from
> VelocityViewServlet is setVelocityEngine.  I had hoped that this would
> be superseded by setVelocityView but alas not and I'm guessing it's
> because you didn't think anyone was/should be using it?

yeah, early in 2.0 development, i went through a stage of making
things more "opinionated".  i've since reneged on that and merely
haven't bothered to add a setVelocityView to VVS since then.  i'll add
it, no prob.

> In our environment we allow the web administrator to change some of the
> fundamental Velocity configuration parameters whilst the app is running
> e.g. Template Caching etc.  When they do this, we use our extended
> VelocityViewServlet class to unload the current VelocityEngine and
> reload it with a new one that has been configured with the new values.

thanks, the use-case totally helps me understand why this is handy.

> Without a way of setting the new VelocityView I don't have any way of
> doing this in 2.0.
>
> Is there another way of telling the shared VelocityView to reload itself
> perhaps?

no, but that's an interesting idea.  if you think that would be more
useful, let me know and perhaps you can help me figure out how that
might/should work. :)