velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance numbers for 1.6
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 04:29:28 GMT
Hmm. I haven't a lot of time at the moment to gather the numbers
discussed on the list and in JIRA.  A glance through some relevant
issues (VELOCITY-606, VELOCITY-607, VELOCITY-570, VELOCITY-545,
VELOCITY-223), i see that at one point Jarkko saw a 25% speed up in
some cases and drastic memory improvements in a macro heavy test (down
to 5MB from 80MB).  I ran some tests myself and recall similar
numbers, though i never wrote them down.  I do know that the biggest
speed-ups were for high concurrency usage and greatest memory
reductions were for velocimacro heavy templates.  I also know that we
fixed some memory and speed issues specifically during tokenizing of
templates.

Of course these are all variable depending on the type of usage
(caching, many/few macros, jdk5+ vs jdk4, etc).  You definitely get
more speed with jdk5, especially if you turn off the limit on the
cache size (see VELOCITY-648).

If you're stuck on jdk1.4, using cached templates with few macros
under light load, you are not likely to see much benefit.  If you're
on jdk1.5+, use a lot of macros, or have high load, you should
definitely notice big improvements.

And more than just faster and lighter, performance is simply better as
there were a number of concurrency bugs fixed and at least one memory
leak as well. :)