velocity-user mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Converting Velocity based HTML templates to XSL/XML
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 01:14:05 GMT

On Jan 5, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Mike McDonough wrote:

> What I'm looking for would be a way to translate the Velocity template
> before execution/rendering so that any conditional logic would be
> intact,
> but in XSL/XSLT instead of Velocity.

Well, you could probably do it with regex in your favorite language,
but what is the point? You data is going to change from java objects
to some XML structure (and possibly parameters passed to the
transformation). How would these map? If there is a way to cleanly map
them, then I would ask what are you gaining by doing this with XSL/
XML? -- velocity would most likely perform better and require less
system resources.

Also, if you have 50+ velocity templates, you don't want to have 50+
separate, unique XSL javax.xml.transform.Templates. You probably want
to take the velocity templates and convert what you can to a 50+ XML
instances and use that as a source in an XSL that handles ALL of your
templating needs.

> It may not be possible to build a parser that does this, which was
> my first
> reaction, but sometimes management insists...

unless you are not divulging something important, it seems like a
pointy-headed task to begin with. At least to me, XSL and velocity
have totally different strengths. I would (and do) use XSL to *pre*
generate the velocity templates. This way you have all the control you
need over layout/styling. The velocity templates would be used at
runtime. This usage also allows you to switch out your runtime
scripting/templating language rather easily.

-Rob