velocity-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [tools-2.0] How to create HTTP-request-based application-wide tool
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:22:47 GMT
I'm not sure i understand.  So, you want the tool to be
request-scoped, but have the instance (or things it creates) live for
the length of the application?  If that's it, then i don't think
ThreadLocal will help.   Or is it simply that you expect there to be a
lot of instances of *the tool* created for every request and wish to
share things between those instances.  If that's it, then why not just
store them as request attributes?  I'm not sure i see why ThreadLocal
is needed, though yeah, that should work too.  I'm also not sure why
you expect there to be a lot of instances of your tool created for
every request.  Have you seen this happening?  The tool management
code for Tools 2.0 stores the request-scoped tools in the request to
allow them to be shared.  The intention is that request scoped tools
would only need to be created once per-request, even when request
includes and forwards are involved.  I'll admit i haven't tested that
carefully though, so i'd like to know if i've misunderstood how
RequestDispatcher handles request attributes for forwards and
includes.