velocity-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [tools-2.0] How to create HTTP-request-based application-wide tool
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:52:33 GMT
Ok, i think i've got it now.  Storing things in a ThreadLocal should
allow an application scoped tool to have separate copies for each
request, however, i don't see how you are going to automate setting
those things into the ThreadLocal at each request. Perhaps you already
have a plan for this, though?  I can't think of a way to do that
without requiring users to take an extra step such as use a custom
VelocityView class or do something manual like
$mytool.set($context.this) before using other functions.
VelocityTools isn't in the business of setting request values into
threadlocals for application-scoped tools, at least not yet.

My inclination would be to avoid trying to keep this all in one class.
 Split your concerns.  The simplest would probably be to put anything
application scoped into a ServletContext attribute(s) and have a
request-scoped tool pull that out when needed.  For instance, you
might have a MyToolAPI object that can live at the application level
and a MyTool that is request-scoped.   MyTool would look for the
MyToolAPI in the servletContext attributes during configure(Map).  If
none is found, then it creates it and sets it in there for later ones
to find.   Then MyTool merely forwards a getFoo() request to
myToolAPI.getFoo(request).   This setup would keep creation of the
request-scoped MyTool very cheap and limit any heavy lifting in
MyToolAPI to once-per application.  Does that make sense?