velocity-user mailing list archives

From Antonio Petrelli <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [tools-2.0] How to create HTTP-request-based application-wide tool
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:10:23 GMT
2009/2/25 Nathan Bubna <nbubna@gmail.com>:
> Ok, i think i've got it now.  Storing things in a ThreadLocal should
> allow an application scoped tool to have separate copies for each
> request, however, i don't see how you are going to automate setting
> those things into the ThreadLocal at each request. Perhaps you already
> have a plan for this, though?

Almost a plan. In case of a request-scoped tool, if "setRequest",
"setResponse", "setVelocityContext" methods are present, they are
invoked at each request, am I right?
In case of an application-scoped tool, are these methods being called?
If yes, then the implementation will use a ThreadLocal instead of a
plain object.

> My inclination would be to avoid trying to keep this all in one class.
>  Split your concerns.  The simplest would probably be to put anything
> application scoped into a ServletContext attribute(s) and have a
> request-scoped tool pull that out when needed.  For instance, you
> might have a MyToolAPI object that can live at the application level
> and a MyTool that is request-scoped.   MyTool would look for the
> MyToolAPI in the servletContext attributes during configure(Map).  If
> none is found, then it creates it and sets it in there for later ones
> to find.   Then MyTool merely forwards a getFoo() request to
> myToolAPI.getFoo(request).   This setup would keep creation of the
> request-scoped MyTool very cheap and limit any heavy lifting in
> MyToolAPI to once-per application.  Does that make sense?

A delegate, then. Thanks, it is a good suggestion!
However, if the answer to the question above is "yes" I think that I
will need to develop less code.

Thank you
Antonio