Maybe this will help you  This way I always test if variable is not null

http://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/user-guide.html#Conditionals

The #if directive in Velocity allows for text to be included when the web page is generated, on the conditional that the if statement is true. For example:

#if( $foo )
   <strong>Velocity!</strong>
#end

The variable $foo is evaluated to determine whether it is true, which will happen under one of two circumstances: (i) $foo is a boolean (true/false) which has a true value, or (ii) the value is not null. Remember that the Velocity context only contains Objects, so when we say 'boolean', it will be represented as a Boolean (the class). This is true even for methods that return boolean - the introspection infrastructure will return a Boolean of the same logical value.