velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Manish" <prol...@gmx.net>
Subject Resorce not found -- again! :(
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:54:08 GMT
I had a very strange experience and few stressful hours after shifting to
Tomcat 5.5 recently. I still haven't understood the reasons, though I
resolved the problem myself. Here is an attempt to understand reasons behind
this dreaded ResourceNotFoundException when almost everything you have
configured seems to be fine, moreover it was working for good 5 years! :)

This is what I have in velocity.proeprties file kept under WEB-INF -

# $Id: velocity.properties 649 2005-02-18 07:32:03Z manishh $
velocimacro.library.autoreload=true
velocimacro.library=/VM_global_library.vm
velocimacro.permissions.allow.inline=true
file.resource.loader.cache=false

# Filepath for error template,
#  relative to web application root directory
tools.view.servlet.error.template = default/error.vm

# Directory for layout templates,
#  relative to web application root directory
tools.view.servlet.layout.directory = layout/

# Filepath of the default layout template
#  relative to the layout directory
#  NOT relative to the root directory of the webapp!
tools.view.servlet.layout.default.template =  Default.vm

# set some path properties now

webapp.resource.loader.path = ., ./email

The servlet is configured correctly -

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>velocity</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
            org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityLayoutServlet
            </servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>org.apache.velocity.toolbox</param-name>
            <param-value>/WEB-INF/toolbox.xml</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>org.apache.velocity.properties</param-name>
            <param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

All this was working fine under Tomcat 5.0.28 but when I switched to Tomcat
5.5.28, it suddenly started showing "ResourceNotFoundException" for the VTL
files.  when I switched back to Tomcat 5.0.28, it worked fine!!!!!!!! What
exactly is happening here? I am running Win XP and Velocity tools 1.1.

I am really surprised to see this behaviou r - clearly the issue is with
"velocity.proeprties" file, but I can't underatand **what** exactly is the
problem and what should be done to make it work under Tomcat 5.5???

Any pointers, help would be highly appreciated.

TIA,
- Manish