velocity-user mailing list archives

From Pradnya Gawade <pradnya.gawa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Display of velocity template emails in clients that might not display HTML
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:35:18 GMT
Thank you Todd for replying. Thanks for additional info about testing
the plain mail messages. Even I am not sure if I will get client to
test the plain test messages or not.

After goggling for multipart email messages, I got following link
showing sample of Sending FreeMarker-based multipart email with
Spring:
http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/display/DISC/Sending+FreeMarker-based+multipart+email+with+Spring

So, if I have to use Velocity Engine then will the implementation
would be on similar lines with a difference of using velocity template
to generate the mail message instead of using FreeMarker  templates?

Thanks,
Pradnya

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM, <Todd.McClintock@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
> Pradnya,
>
> I implemented a multipart mime email in Java using velocity templates.  I used one template
for the HTML version and another template for the text version.  Both templates used the
same variable names for substitution.  The beauty of doing this with Velocity was that I
could open the HTML version with a browser and see what the email would look like.  I could
also edit the email with an HTML Authoring tool.  The text version was equally easy to review
and maintain.

> The Java code that creates and sends multipart mime email messages puts the HTML Body
and the Text Body in two different objects.

> When trying to test the text part of the multipart mime email I found it very hard to
find a client that would display the text version.  Outlook says that it has a text option
but I found that it displayed the HTML Version minus the HTML Markup.  The only way I could
display the text version was to use gmail.  They have a "garbled message" option which will
display the text version.  Maybe there are email clients for the vision impaired that use
the text version.  I was left wondering who would see the text version.