velocity-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Correct License citation
Date Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:18:54 GMT
It should be quite sufficient to include the LICENSE and NOTICE in the
apk package and drop a "Powered by Apache Velocity" (with link) in the
About screen.  At that point, you have included a license (as
required) and provided clear attribution in both a NOTICE file and
your About screen.  That's more than a lot of apps out there that
we've never sued.  I've never heard anyone say anything about making
sure the user sees the license, just that they receive a copy.  If
they've downloaded your apk, they've received a copy.  It's really not
meant to be that difficult.  We want you to use our software.  So long
as you're not flagrantly violating the license terms, it's extremely
unlikely that the ASF will care enough to sue.  If we found out
someone failed to include the license when redistributing the
software, the first reaction would be merely to tell them to include
it, not to sue.  If you want to get sued, then start misusing the
Apache trademark or try to sell Velocity as if it were your own
software.  Again, this is free software of the non-viral/GPL sort,
it's not meant to be that difficult to use and redistribute.