velocity-user mailing list archives

From Will Glass-Husain <wglasshus...@gmail.com>
Subject silent references cause strict reference checking to fail
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:35:41 GMT
Hi!

With some enthusiasm from my dev team, I just turned strict error
checking on for the first time.   Not surprisingly, our app
immediately had some errors.

I was surprised to find that it was failing even with silent
references.  Does anyone remember if that's intentional?

<input class="signupInput" type="text" id="StxtFirstNames"
name="firstName" value="$!user.firstName"/>

org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Variable
$user has not been set at layout/slide_login.vm[line 13, column 117]

To me that reduces the usefulness of this feature-- we use silent
references a lot, and it doesn't make sense to me that they would all
cause errors.  I was hoping to do a better job of find errors like
"$user.firstname" where $user wasn't set.  But with $!user.firstName I
now have to go through the site and put an #if in every location I
want to be blank if its undefined.

Can anyone using this feature comment?

Thanks,

WILL