velocity-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Velocity tools with Velocity Engine
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:28:36 GMT
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/6/28 Rohit Khamkar <rkhamkar@gmail.com>:
>> Not even a single line of stacktrace. Does Velocity log under a
>> different file?

different file from what?

> I don't think so.
>
>> I would hope to see anything under such case written
>> to standard error. Is there a different approach in doing this?
>
> Well, I must admit that Velocity Tools (probably Velocity too) have a
> bad habit in ignoring or swallowing exceptions. At this point your
> only way to discover your problem is by debugging.

sorry, but the NumberTool and ToolManager constructors do not catch
any exceptions.  heck, the NumberTool class has no explicit
constructor, just the default one.  and if they did catch exceptions,
the code would continue running rather than stop.  you're gonna have
to tell us about your environment, because you have something funky.
if i had to guess, i would bet that your setup is swallowing
ClassNotFoundExceptions.  this looks for all the world like
VelocityTools is not in the classpath at runtime and you are somehow
not seeing the CNFEs.