velocity-user mailing list archives

From "David Parks" <davidpark...@yahoo.com>
Subject Documentation for tools xml configuration?
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:00:45 GMT
I see an example configuration file on the website, but no docs that explain
the configuration format. Is there something I missed? There are a lot of
options there and I'm having troubles figuring it all out.

A few specific questions:

What is the scope parameter, I see request|session|application? Do new
objects get created per request/scope if you select request or session?
<toolbox scope=. />

How can I extend a class (for example I want to extend MathTool to correct
the rounding problems noted previously). I can add my own $mymath custom
class (there's an example of that), but if I try to change the name to
"math" it doesn't seem to override the existing $math class.

There is this example:
   <tool class="org.apache.velocity.tools.generic.DateTool"/>
Can someone just explain what that's doing period?

In this example:
   <tool key="custom" class="org.mine.CustomTool"
randomProperty="whatever"/>
Does the "randomProperty" get called as a setter of org.mine.CustomTool
(e.g. upon creating the object does it then call
customTool.setRandomProperty(...) )?

I see an example "restrictTo" property of <tool ...> but what is possible in
that field? A comma separated list, are regular expressions of any kind
supported?

Perhaps some comments in that example file would be enough to make
everything clear.