velocity-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: String duplication
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 22:05:23 GMT
Nathan,

On 5/11/2011 5:15 PM, Nathan Bubna wrote:
> A lot of this work was done already between 1.5 and 1.6, as i recall.
> I could have sworn you participated in some of those discussion too.

Maybe... I'll have to look at the mailing list archives. :)

> I know a lot of work was done in 1.6 on both memory and CPU
> performance.  Macros were moved into a common space, instead of being
> duplicated for every use, we do use String interning judiciously in
> some places, with proven results at the time.  In any case, i strongly
> recommend you run your profiler against 1.7 or 2.0-dev and not get
> excited about 1.4 performance issues.

That's the primary reason I mentioned up front that I was using 1.4. I
figured someone would say "you're an idiot who needs to upgrade" and
that would essentially be that. :)

I think I'm going to bite the bullet after our current release cycle and
just straight-up replace Velocity 1.4 with Velocity 1.7 and
Velocity-Tools 1.4 with Velocity-Tools 2.0 and then just test the hell
out of everything. It's lonely here in the past :) At that point, I can
become relevant again in terms of supporting this project directly. :)

> sorry, but i just don't care about anything pre-1.7 anymore.  i don't
> have the bandwidth.  :(

Nor should you. There's really no reason why an upgrade shouldn't occur.
It would be especially nice for us to be able to do non-integer
mathematics in templates (!!), more intelligent object
equality-checking, etc. so I'm definitely looking forward to upgrading.
Performance optimizations are a great bonus, too!

Thanks,
-chris