velocity-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a programming exercise integrating velocity with spring ... for general interest of this list
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 00:05:00 GMT
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Christopher Townson
<christopher.townson@gmail.com> wrote:
> The source jar can be obtained from
> http://christophertownson.com/mvn/com/christophertownson/spring-velocity/0.0.1/spring-velocity-0.0.1-sources.jar
> (I need to update the pom details so this gets put into the mvn site
> properly).

thanks

> I should probably move scm at some point, too, so that others can
> potentially have access to that. Maybe github.

that's a good idea.

> As for GPL, that was a religious/political decision ... one can debate
> the many the finer legal points of the various oss licences endlessly
> but, since this was something that I did in my own time
> free-of-charge, I wanted to make it available but I did not want it to
> be utilised and/or distributed as part of a proprietary/commercial
> software system (but could still be used by in-house systems where
> these are not sold/distributed under non-GPL compatible licences). The
> GNU is also, to my mind at least, the strongest symbol of open source
> software. There are others, but those are the 2 basic reasons - the
> GPL stipulates these, whereas apache/bsd do not, afaik. However, if
> you can make a case for the others, please feel free -- but probably
> best done off-list ;-)

Spring and Velocity are both under the Apache license.  So, licensing
something that integrates the two under the GPL is a non sequitur.
And this is an Apache list, so you're going to get a little Apache
sermon, like it or not.

My employer distributes custom, commercial software utilizing these
libraries.  We operate in a small niche market where it doesn't make
sense or cents to open source our distributed products.   In fact, our
customers would throw fits if we were to use GPL code and have to open
source (i.e. share with their competitors) the various customizations
and features they've specially requested.  But it does make great
sense for us to contribute to open source, commodity code projects
whose licenses don't try to force us out of business.  Because of
that, my employer has paid me for most of the time I have spent
developing Velocity, enabling me to spend far more time on it than i
would otherwise.  All Velocity users have benefitted from that and
would not have were it not for the Apache license.

This are 2 major flaws with GPL: 1) It is untouchable for companies
like mine, depriving GPL projects of our valuable participation.  2)
Enforcement is nigh impossible because violation is very difficult to
detect and legal redress is too costly.

The Apache approach, however, believes that good communities make the
best code and good community starts with freedom and goodwill, not
restrictions.  There are always cheaters and leechers and slapping the
GPL on your code won't even slow them down.  So, ignore them and focus
on the honest folks, many of whom can't distribute their end products
for free.  So, let them do as they will with the code and focus on
building a good community around a project.  All of the code your
project is built on and meant for use with was built on goodwill and
complete freedom of use.  All the community that would potentially use
it is accustomed to that freedom and goodwill.  Do you really think it
is wise or feasible to try enforcing new conditions upon them?