velocity-user mailing list archives

From Sergiu Dumitriu <ser...@xwiki.com>
Subject Re: Velocity to fetch full docs?
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:24:28 GMT
On 09/26/2011 10:56 AM, Nathan Bubna wrote:
> Definitely for a question for the Nutch or Solr lists.  Velocity is a
> simple template engine and knows nothing about Nutch or Solr that it
> isn't "told" about.

Indeed, Velocity is a very simple template engine, with no smart APIs
provided by the engine alone. What you need to do is to put in the
context some data objects holding the instance data you're currently
processing (or even just the servlet request and response objects to get
access to the request parameters), and some smart objects that can
contact Solr, Nutch and your other nonSolr services. You'd have to write
these yourself in Java, and put instances in the velocity context before
parsing.

Another approach is to put enough low level services to allow you to
implement the whole logic inside a Velocity template, like a HTTP
client, XML processing library, the escape tool, etc.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/