velocity-user mailing list archives

From Guillaume Polet <guillaume.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Velocity to generate GWT Code
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:26:12 GMT
Good morning,

OK good, because for the first option, I don't think it is possible.

If you have a model object, then you can put those objects in a Velocity
context and then simply invoke the next line:

Velocity.mergeTemplate(templateName, encoding, context, writer);

Then in your templates you access you objects and you generate the code
you expect. In addition to that, you can use the VelocityTools which can
come in handy if you plan on writing XML files or Java files.

For the UiBinder, I would strongly encourage you to use it because
creating UI's only in Java often ends up in
messy/unreadable/overwhelming code (if you have 3 labels and a textfield
it's easy to read, but as you have more of them it can get confusing and
hard to  maintain). Moreover, it is a lot easier to find layout issues
in XML than in Java. For all the details, you can have a look at :
https://developers.google.com/web-toolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideUiBinder
(and if you plan on using Eclipse, there is a performance issue with XSD
and DTD but it can be solved easily. Read about it here:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/thread/da3d11ba50cc7e07?hide_quotes=no)

Sorry for all the GWT talk on this list, I know it is a Velocity one.

Cheers,
Guillaume