velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jan Algermissen <jan.algermis...@nordsc.com>
Subject Re: Making Velocity truly concurent
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 19:15:32 GMT

On Sep 28, 2012, at 8:36 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Jan,
>
> On 9/21/12 2:45 AM, Jan Algermissen wrote:
>> looking at the code yesterday, I saw that Velocity uses a number of
>> Serialized classes (e.g. the SerializedMap in ResourceCache).
>>
>> I would like to replace all relevant classes to avoid serialization
>> completely.
>
> Do you mean avoid all /synchronization/?

Yes, because I am in Java EE6 container and have a request scoped Velocity
context. In my understanding the only hot spot is the template cache and a
concurrent Map would solve that, correct?

>> Are concurrent versions of these classes available already?
>
> You mean something like java.util.concurrent?

Yes. I would basically replace the SynchronizedMap with a ConcurrentHashMap.
Before I do that, I was wondering whether anyone has done that already.

... and whether it would work, of couse :-)

Jan