velocity-user mailing list archives

From Claude Brisson <cla...@renegat.net.INVALID>
Subject Re: Setting context value from template broken in 2.0
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2017 23:31:56 GMT
On 05/12/2017 23:46, Veit Guna wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I just gave 2.0 a testdrive and some issues occurred to me.
>
> a) Until 1.7 I could use
>
> #set($subject = "Hey Buddy")
>
> To pass back context values to the caller (java code). I could simply
> get it from the Map:
>
> contextMap.get("subject");
>
> Now this doesn't work anymore. The key is not contained in the context
> after the template has been processed.
> Is this by intention? Is there another way of passing back values from
> the template?

It does work with this following code:

     VelocityContext context = new VelocityContext();
     template.merge(context, output);
     /* template contains #set($suject = "hello there") */
     System.out.println("subject = " + context.get("subject"));

Ok, I saw your second email. Well, anyhow, the behavior should still be
the same.
Note that you can turn it off with:

     template.provide.scope.control = true

> b) org.springframework.ui.velocity.VelocityEngineFactoryBean doesn't
> work anymore if configured like this:
>
> <property name="resourceLoaderPath" value="classpath:mail-templates" />
>
> or this (leaving it out completely results in the same):
>
> <property name="overrideLogging" value="true" />
>
> Spring uses an old ResourceLoader for classpath scanning (can be fixed
> by using velocitys own). Also it uses
> the old *Chute logger class. Both resulting in appropriate exceptions
> not finding matching classes.
>
> As Spring announced to drop Velocity Support with 5, this is maybe not a
> topic for you guys anymore.

On the contrary, they just don't want to maintain the Velocity
integration themselves, which means we should host the few glue classes
here. Adapting the org.springframework.ui.velocity pakage for 2.0 should
be trivial, we're just waiting for someone to contribute it.

Regards,

   Claude