whirr-user mailing list archives

From Alex Heneveld <Alex.Henev...@CloudsoftCorp.com>
Subject Re: launching a one job cluster
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:01:19 GMT

Hi David,

David, what type of job is it?  Can the shell scripts call you back when
they're done or is there some out-of-band event that would have to be
subscribed to?

I'm also interested in the wrapping mechanism.  You could write bash
scripts to wrap whirr start/stap and watch for the trigger in between,
but scraping the IP addresses and configuring credentials will get
tedious.  +1 to something more elegant ... would a JVM language script
be interesting?  Am thinking a simple management layer with embedded
Whirr to start/stop but also able to monitor your processes in between,
finding out about them programmatically via Whirr.

--A

On 22/09/2011 15:29, Andrei Savu wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion :) When I see job I think about Hadoop.
>
> For arbitrary scripts I think jclouds provides some ways of doing this
> as you already know. To make this process of checking if a script is
> running low latency I think you need some sort of server side daemon
> but I can't recommend one.
>
> -- Andrei
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:24 PM, David Alves<davidralves@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> As I said the thing is I'm NOT using hadoop :)
>> I'm just running generic scripts/ssh commands.
>>
>> -david
>>
>> On Sep 22, 2011, at 5:20 PM, Andrei Savu wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know that much about how to manage jobs in Hadoop using the
>>> API. Maybe Tom can provide a good answer to this. I completely
>>> understand the elegance part :)
>>>
>>> -- Andrei Savu

that I'd like to be as accurate as possible.

so if it really is too much trouble I am ok with letting it go.

runJob() method that actually polls for progress.
might have been a mistake) and I was wondering if there is already a way to do that for generic
cases (e.g., scripts or java programs).

the cluster as the job is finished (as soon as possible).
dirty solutions (like creating a file whenever the task is completed and polling for its existence
from the whirr handler) but I'd like to do it without polling if possible. Any ideas?