whirr-user mailing list archives

From Karel Vervaeke <ka...@outerthought.org>
Subject Whirr overhead
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:28:31 GMT
I have been using whirr call simple scripts using whirr run-script,
but I have to say it's running way too slow to be usable.

Running parallel-ssh to call a simple script on a 2-node EC2 cluster
takes about 7 seconds.
Running the same script (more or less) takes more than 1min 30 secs.
I know that's comparing I'm apples with comfy chairs: Whirr is making
EC2 calls to check regions,zones, available hosts, ...
but all those EC2 api calls (I have counted 17, see attached log file)
come with a price (well, with time).

Are the EC2 calls really necessary? Maybe we should skip them
alltogether (look in the instances file) or provide caching cache the
EC2 results...

WDYT?
Karel

--