whirr-user mailing list archives

From David Alves <davidral...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: launching a one job cluster
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 22:07:05 GMT
Hi Andrei

	I know…
	The thing is that code used the Hadoop JobClient class's runJob() method that actually polls
for progress.
	I am not using hadoop (in hindsight using the word "job" might have been a mistake) and I
was wondering if there is already a way to do that for generic cases (e.g., scripts or java
programs).
	In particular as I'm collecting accurate metrics I'd like a non poll based technique.
	Even if there is none I can always try and code it, so all ideas are welcome.

thanks
david

On Sep 22, 2011, at 4:52 PM, Andrei Savu wrote:

> This is exactly what the example code is doing (and the hadoop
> integration test). The job running code is blocking while the job is
> executing.
>
> -- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM, David Alves <davidralves@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>>        I need to launch a cluster run a job and terminate the cluster as the job
is finished (as soon as possible).
>>        Is there any "nice" way to do this, or do you have any suggestions?
>>        On the top of my head I can imagine some quick and dirty solutions (like creating
a file whenever the task is completed and polling for its existence from the whirr handler)
but I'd like to do it without polling if possible. Any ideas?