whirr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Schilling <ch...@thecleversense.com>
Subject ec2 hadoop cluster creation failure (from ec2)
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 03:42:15 GMT
Hi,

I think I am also seeing this problem:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-378

I am trying to run whirr from an ec2 instance.  The failure occurs after the machines are
launched:
Starting to run configuration scripts on cluster instances: us-east-1/i-cacff4aa
Starting to run configuration scripts on cluster instances: us-east-1/i-c4cff4a4
Running configuration script on: us-east-1/i-cacff4aa
Running configuration script on: us-east-1/i-c4cff4a4
<<authenticated>> woke to: net.schmizz.sshj.userauth.UserAuthException: publickey
auth failed
<<authenticated>> woke to: net.schmizz.sshj.userauth.UserAuthException: publickey
auth failed
<<authenticated>> woke to: net.schmizz.sshj.userauth.UserAuthException: publickey
auth failed
<<authenticated>> woke to: net.schmizz.sshj.userauth.UserAuthException: publickey
auth failed
<<authenticated>> woke to: net.schmizz.sshj.userauth.UserAuthException: publickey
auth failed
Dying because - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Dying because - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
<<authenticated>> woke to: net.schmizz.sshj.userauth.UserAuthException: publickey
auth failed
Dying because - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Dying because - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Dying because - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Dying because - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Dying because - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Dying because - java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

My initialization script is rather simple:
whirr.cluster-name=whirr-hadoop
whirr.instance-templates=1 hadoop-namenode+hadoop-jobtracker,1 hadoop-datanode+hadoop-tasktracker
whirr.provider=aws-ec2
whirr.identity=${env:AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID}
whirr.credential=${env:AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY}
hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.child.java.opts=-Xmx1000m
hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.child.ulimit=1500000

I also tried running this script with these two lines (but I don't think it matters):
whirr.private-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa
whirr.public-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa.pu
Anyway, is there a solution available to this jira?  Andrei, you mentioned that you had it
running from ec2 correctly.  Perhaps you have some insight?  I can provide a log file if necessary.

P.S.  This works properly when running from my local machine!

Again, thanks for the support.  If there is anything I can do to help debug, please let me
know!
Chris Schilling
Sr. Data Mining Engineer
Clever Sense, Inc.
"Curating the World Around You"
Winner of the 2011 Fortune Brainstorm Start-up Idol

Wanna join the Clever Team? We're hiring!