whirr-user mailing list archives

From Andrei Savu <savu.and...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Amazon EC2 and HTTP 503 errors: RequestLimitExceeded
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:14:52 GMT
Paolo -

I am so glad to your part of the community. Thanks for sharing your work
with us!

I am dreaming that by the time we get to 1.0.0 Apache Whirr should be a
drop-in replacement for Amazon EMR for common scenario and at the same time
a strong foundation for building more complicated workflows that involve
multiple services (including custom ones) and work in a similar fashion on
different clouds.

> But, the cluster size issue can be a big problem in terms of adoption and
> in my opinion it should be addressed (if at all possible).

I agree that this is an important requirement. There is also some work
happening in jclouds for this:
http://www.jclouds.org/documentation/reference/pool-design

> I hope we are going to be able to get this in for 0.8.0.
>
> Ack.

It's now on the roadmap for 0.7.0: http://s.apache.org/whirr-0.7.0-roadmap

BTW it would be great if you want to help with some of the remaining
issues.

> Indeed, I was thinking to do the opposite: use twice or more m1.small.
> My MapReduce jobs are typically very simple and do not require a lot of
> RAM.
> I am aware that this might not be the right thing to do... but I am
> curious and
> I want to experience it myself. IO might be poor ... I know.

You need testing to answer these questions. AFAIK for Hadoop commodity
hardware means systems with two processor each with 4 cores, plenty of RAM
and fast disks + fast networking.

> So, far I've used Whirr for Hadoop clusters only, but I am really happy to
> see
> that there is support for Cassandra, HBase, ElasticSearch and ZooKeeper.
> I might use these as well in a not too distant future.

Great!

> Paolo
>
>  [1] https://github.com/castagna/tdbloader3

Chers,