whirr-user mailing list archives

From Andrei Savu <savu.and...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FYI, possible causes for net.schmizz.sshj.userauth.UserAuthException: Exhausted available authentication methods
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:19:51 GMT
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Hans Drexler <
Hans.Drexler@humaninference.com> wrote:

>  We have been troubled by ****
>
> ** **
>
> net.schmizz.sshj.userauth.UserAuthException: Exhausted available
> authentication methods****
>
> ** **
>
> errors when trying to setup a cluster with Whirr. We managed to solve the
> issue. Below is a small checklist. Any of the items in this checklist can
> be the source of this problem. We will just list them here for the benefits
> of others. In our case, the problems were caused by a combination of items
> 2 and 3 below.****
>
> ** **
>
> **1.       **Make sure your SSH key pair does not have a pass phrase.

This is enforced by .properties file validation (starting from 0.3.0 or
0.4.0)

> ****
>
> **2.       **Do not run Whirr as root. Create a non root account to run
> whirr

You can run Whirr as root if you want but you have to specify a different
value for whirr.cluster-user
See http://whirr.apache.org/docs/0.6.0/configuration-guide.html

> ****
>
> **3.       **Make sure that the machine running whirr can be reached from
> the created cloud nodes.

This is not a requirement.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Happy whirring****
>
> ** **
>
> Hans ****

In 0.7.0 (coming soon) we have improved the configuration page by
documenting some jclouds specific options relevant to this issue. Expect
more improvements in 0.8.0 thanks to changes in the upcoming jclouds 1.2.2
release.

Also note that it's recommended to avoid using small instances like
t1.micro for increased robustness.

-- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro