whirr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Periya.Data" <periya.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java and Hadoop on Ubuntu 11.10 AMI
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2011 21:00:40 GMT
Thanks much. Will follow your suggestions. A quick question:

If I have to install Hive, Sqoop and Flume on the my cluster nodes, what is
the suggested way?
--> Log into each cluster node and install them manually?
--> Maybe the I have to hack the install script
(/whirr/services/cdh/src/main/resources/functions) or create a new one for
each of the tools?

Thanks,
PD.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Andrei Savu <savu.andrei@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are a few advices:
>
> * use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit on the cluster nodes - this is the OS version
> we are testing against before making a release
> * whirr.hadoop.tarball.url is irrelevant if you specify
> whirr.hadoop.install-function. Same is true for whirr.hadoop.version.
> * install_cdh_hadoop will install by default the latest release.
> We've implemented a way of selecting the version in 0.7.0:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-415
> * use something bigger than t1.micro - this is just too small to run
> Hadoop
>
> Let me know if you are still having problems.
>
> -- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro
>
>
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Periya.Data <periya.data@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I am trying Whirr to spin-up EC2 clusters. Here are the specs:
>>
>>
>>    - Local laptop - Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot + Hadoop-0.20.2-cdh3u2
>>    - EC2 Whirr config :
>>    -
>>       - whirr.hadoop.install-function=install_cdh_hadoop
>>    - whirr.hadoop.configure-function=configure_cdh_hadoop
>>       - whirr.hadoop.version=0.20.2
>>       - whirr.hadoop.tarball.url=
>>       http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh/3/hadoop-0.20.2-cdh3u2.tar.gz
>>       - whirr.hardware-id=t1.micro
>>                 # Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric EBS boot from alestic
>>    - whirr.image-id=us-east-1/ami-a7f539ce
>>       - whirr.location-id=us-east-1
>>
>>
>> *Problem:* The cluster seems to be up and running. But, cannot see Java
>> and Hadoop on the instance.
>>
>> *Question:* Is this a problem or should I clearly mention in my Whirr
>> config/properties file what version of JDK to be installed and its download
>> URL?
>>
>>
>> *Some logs:* (I ssh-ed into one of the nodes and tried to see the logs)
>>
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp$ ls -al
>> total 40
>> drwxrwxrwt  4 root root  4096 2011-12-04 06:25 .
>> drwxr-xr-x 22 root root  4096 2011-12-04 05:46 ..
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root   938 2011-12-04 05:46 core-site.xml
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root   701 2011-12-04 05:46 hdfs-site.xml
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 2011-12-04 05:46
>> jclouds-script-1322977554131
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 2011-12-04 05:44 logs
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root  1447 2011-12-04 05:46 mapred-site.xml
>> -rwxr--r--  1 root root 11212 2011-12-04 05:44 setup-sri.sh
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp$
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp$
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp$
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp$ cd logs/
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp/logs$ ls -l
>> total 12
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  117 2011-12-04 05:45 stderr.log
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4535 2011-12-04 05:45 stdout.log
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp/logs$ more stderr.log
>> E: Package 'sun-java6-jdk' has no installation candidate
>> /tmp/setup-sri.sh: line 161: java: command not found
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp/logs$
>>
>> ----------
>>
>> Get:36 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/universe
>> i386 Packages [57.2 kB]
>> Get:37 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.comoneiric-updates/multiverse i386 Packages
[4396 B]
>> Get:38 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/main
>> TranslationIndex [73 B]
>> Get:39 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.comoneiric-updates/multiverse TranslationIndex
[72 B
>> ]
>> Get:40 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/universe
>> TranslationIndex [73 B]
>> Get:41 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric/main
>> Translation-en [701 kB]
>> Hit http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric/multiverse
>> Translation-en
>> Get:42 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric/universe
>> Translation-en [3165 kB]
>> Get:43 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/main
>> Translation-en [99.2 kB]
>> Get:44 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.comoneiric-updates/multiverse Translation-en
[2419 B
>> ]
>> Get:45 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/universe
>> Translation-en [35.4 kB]
>> Fetched 16.2 MB in 12s (1290 kB/s)
>> Reading package lists...
>> Reading package lists...
>> Building dependency tree...
>> Reading state information...
>> Package sun-java6-jdk is not available, but is referred to by another
>> package.
>> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>> is only available from another source
>>
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp/logs$
>> Get:36 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/universe
>> i386 Packages [57.2 kB]
>> Get:37 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.comoneiric-updates/multiverse i386 Packages
[4396 B]
>> Get:38 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/main
>> TranslationIndex [73 B]
>> Get:39 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.comoneiric-updates/multiverse TranslationIndex
[72 B]
>> Get:40 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/universe
>> TranslationIndex [73 B]
>> Get:41 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric/main
>> Translation-en [701 kB]
>> Hit http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric/multiverse
>> Translation-en
>> Get:42 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric/universe
>> Translation-en [3165 kB]
>> Get:43 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/main
>> Translation-en [99.2 kB]
>> Get:44 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.comoneiric-updates/multiverse Translation-en
[2419 B]
>> Get:45 http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/universe
>> Translation-en [35.4 kB]
>> Fetched 16.2 MB in 12s (1290 kB/s)
>> Reading package lists...
>> Reading package lists...
>> Building dependency tree...
>> Reading state information...
>> Package sun-java6-jdk is not available, but is referred to by another
>> package.
>> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>> is only available from another source
>>
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-02-21-20:/tmp/logs$
>>
>> *[On a different cluster spun-up at a later time]*
>>
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-10-6D-38:~$ java
>> The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
>>  * gcj-4.4-jre-headless
>>  * gcj-4.6-jre-headless
>>  * openjdk-6-jre-headless
>>  * gcj-4.5-jre-headless
>>  * openjdk-7-jre-headless
>> Ask your administrator to install one of them
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-10-6D-38:~$ java -version
>> The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
>>  * gcj-4.4-jre-headless
>>  * gcj-4.6-jre-headless
>>  * openjdk-6-jre-headless
>>  * gcj-4.5-jre-headless
>>  * openjdk-7-jre-headless
>> Ask your administrator to install one of them
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-10-6D-38:~$
>>
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-10-6D-38:~$ hadoop version
>> hadoop: command not found
>> sri@domU-12-31-39-10-6D-38:~$
>>
>> ===========================================
>>
>> Finally, a quick Googling pointed to a JIRA issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-435
>>
>>
>> I am seeing the same stuff. Any updates? If this is a real issues, I do
>> not have any problems in using Ubuntu 11.04 AMI for now.
>>
>>
>> Your help is very much appreciated.
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> PD.
>>
>
>

Mime
View raw message