We are working on this for 0.8.0. See:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-421

This feature is not yet available for HBase but it should be by the time we make the release.

Also check the following file:
https://github.com/andreisavu/whirr/blob/trunk/services/hbase/src/main/resources/functions/configure_hbase.sh

I think this code snippet is relevant for you:

function start_hbase_daemon() {
  if which dpkg &> /dev/null; then
AS_HADOOP="su -s /bin/bash - hadoop -c"
  elif which rpm &> /dev/null; then
AS_HADOOP="/sbin/runuser -s /bin/bash - hadoop -c"
  fi
  $AS_HADOOP "$HBASE_HOME/bin/hbase-daemon.sh start $1"
}

-- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro