whirr-user mailing list archives

From Paul Baclace <paul.bacl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Whirr on HPCloud
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 01:45:49 GMT
Adrian,

Trying the patch did not consume too much time; I can use the
region/number form for hw and images.

Here is the next issue:  start 2 zookeepers and they cannot communicate
because the jclouds-$cluster_name security group that Whirr created only
gave port 22 permission.

a.  how to specify ports to open between all the nodes created (rather
than open to all of Internet or all of LAN)?

b.  how to specify the name of an existing sec. group which also has the
"applies to all instances that are bound to it" property.

I hope this can be done without resorting to (n^2 - n)/2 distinct port
permissions.

Paul

On 20120816 7:25 , Adrian Cole wrote:
> Hi, Paul.
>
> Sorry the patch didn't work for you, but glad to hear you discovered
> the params you need.  I'll try *exactly* what you did and not ask you
> to test another patch until that works :)
>
> -A
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Paul Baclace <paul.baclace@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> P.s. if you go to the jclouds-cli repo on github, you can enumerate the
>>> IDs you need.
>> Good to know.  I will try this.
>>
>> Using the latest WHIRR-593 patch for jclouds 1.5.0b10, I can start a 64bit
>> "noop" machine which ends up as xsmall and ubuntu 10.04 despite these config
>> props:
>>
>> # a well known image ubuntu 12.04 as listed in hpcloud console (image id is
>> "not found"):
>> whirr.image-id=8419
>>
>> # id not found:
>> whirr.hardware-id=standard.small
>>
>> # id not found:
>> whirr.hardware-id=101
>>
>> # changing the minRam to 2048 did not force a small machine:
>> whirr.template=osFamily=UBUNTU,osVersionMatches=12.04,os64Bit=true,minRam=2048
>>
>> I *was* able to start a small machine using the region and the openstack
>> machine code like this:
>> whirr.hardware-id=az-1.region-a.geo-1/101
>>
>> Next I need to find the exact form for whirr.image-id so I can use a custom
>> image (perhaps region is needed in the specifier or a full URL).
>>

>> Paul
>>
>> On 20120815 18:29 , Paul Baclace wrote:
>>> I built Whirr from trunk svn r1373566. The machine running whirr will be
>>> ubuntu 12.04 (I hope that will work.)  The spawned cluster nodes can be
>>> ubuntu 10.04, but I thought CDH 4.0.1 specified that it worked with 12.04.
>>>
>>> Normally, I prepare a custom os image (based on a whirr cluster) to speed
>>> up provisioning.  Will that work on HPCloud?
>>>

>>> Paul

HPCloud?