whirr-user mailing list archives

From Paul Baclace <paul.bacl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Whirr on HPCloud, reverse ip
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 03:33:28 GMT
On 20120815 17:54 , Andrew Bayer wrote:
> You'll actually have to do some manual tweaks due to HP Cloud public
> IPs not having reverse-resolvable IP addresses - you'll need to
> manually go onto each of your hosts and change any references to
> hostnames they put in there to the IP instead.
What I found with the (pre-release) whirr 0.8.0, so far:

When a pair of zookeeper nodes are started, the zoo.cfg files have LAN
ip addrs and they were able to connect to each other (after I modified
the generated sec. group by hand).

.whirr/*/instances in effect looks like this:

   $REGION/$instanceID  $ROLES  $IP_WAN  $IP_LAN

There is no domain name.  An old version of whirr running on EC2 has the
same format except that IP_WAN is a public domain name.

And hpcloud console detail on one of the instances created shows 2
public ip addresses (!); one is "fixed" and the other is "floating"
(hmm, either of those terms could imply static).

I can use "dig -x $localIP" to find a PTR rec (example:
server-9999999999-az-1-region-a-geo-1.novalocal.), but the public ip
finds nothing, and this lookup only works on the $localIP host itself.

Paul