whirr-user mailing list archives

From David Rosenstrauch <dar...@darose.net>
Subject Re: Problems using whirr to launch ubuntu machines
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 03:48:26 GMT
Seems to be same issue as this:

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/issues/748

Doesn't look like there's any fix for this, near as I can tell.

@Sebastian Schoenherr:  which version of Whirr are you using (and/or
which Ubuntu AMI base) that you're able to successfully launch Ubuntu
instances using whirr.login-user?

Thanks,

DR

On 09/16/2012 11:34 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Hmmmm ... no luck.  I've tried now with whirr.bootstrap-user,
> whirr.login-user (which whirr tells me is now deprecated in favor of
> whirr.bootstrap-user), and with no user at all.  Result is always the
> same:  instances start up, but whirr fails to initialize them.  The
> whirr log shows the following error message (which apparently indicates
> an ssh login failure):
>
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Invalid packet: indicated length
> 1349281121 too large
>
> And on the nodes, I keep seeing Ubuntu starting up a process that echo's
> the following message:  Please login as the user "ubuntu" rather than
> the user "root".
>
> So it seems that somehow whirr keeps trying to login as root and
> failing.  Not sure why.
>

> The Ubuntu AMI I'm using is based off of one provided by the Ubuntu
> project itself.  Specifically ami-4fad7426.  (See this page for more
> details:  http://cloud.ubuntu.com/ami/)
>
> Anyone have any idea what might be going wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DR
>
> On 09/16/2012 03:48 PM, Sebastian Schoenherr wrote:
>> Hi David,
>> try to set: whirr.login-user=ubuntu and skip the bootstrap-user.
>> works for me,
>> Chers Sebsatian
>>
>> On 16/09/2012 16:41, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>>> Whoops sorry - didn't understand.  Props file posted below  Again,
>>> this is using Whirr v0.8.
>>>
>>> DR
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> whirr.env.repo=cdh4
>>> whirr.cluster-name=hadoopcc
>>> whirr.instance-templates=1 hadoop-namenode+hadoop-jobtracker,8
>>> hadoop-datanode+hadoop-tasktracker
>>> whirr.instance-templates-minimum-number-of-instances=1
>>> hadoop-namenode+hadoop-jobtracker, 6 hadoop-datanode+hadoop-tasktracker
>>> whirr.max-startup-retries=4
>>> whirr.provider=aws-ec2
>>> whirr.identity=...
>>> whirr.credential=...
>>> whirr.private-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa
>>> whirr.public-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
>>> whirr.hadoop.install-function=install_cdh_hadoop
>>> whirr.hadoop.configure-function=configure_cdh_hadoop
>>> whirr.hardware-id=cc1.4xlarge
>>> whirr.location-id=us-east-1
>>> whirr.image-id=us-east-1/ami-dd7fcfb4
>>> whirr.bootstrap-user=ubuntu
>>> hadoop-hdfs.dfs.replication=2
>>> hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum=8
>>> hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum=8
>>> hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.reduce.tasks=64
>>> hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.task.timeout=1800000
>>> hadoop-mapreduce.mapred.child.java.opts=-Xmx1024m

This is