whirr-user mailing list archives

From David Rosenstrauch <dar...@darose.net>
Subject Re: Problems using whirr to launch ubuntu machines
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 05:07:45 GMT
OK, I think I have some clue what's happening here.

When I launch my cluster using the stock Ubuntu AMI (e.g., ami-4fad7426)
everything works fine.  But when I launch using my own AMI which I've
based off of that, it fails.

I think the reason is that Whirr/jclouds is able to determine that the
stock instance is running Ubuntu (and so login using the correct user
name) and it's not able to determine that about mine.

Anyone know how Whirr/jclouds is determining that the OS type is Ubuntu?
  Is it the presence of the text "ubuntu" in the "source" attribute on
EC2?  (e.g.,
"099720109477/ubuntu/images/hvm/ubuntu-precise-12.04-amd64-server-2012042")
  My AMI doesn't mention "ubuntu" in its source/name.  Or is it because
the EC2 "platform" type is "Ubuntu Cloud Guest"?  (In my AMI, the
platform type appears as "Other Linux".)  Is there any way I can force
Whirr/jclouds and tell it that my AMI is based on Ubuntu?

Thanks,

DR

On 09/16/2012 11:48 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Seems to be same issue as this:
>
> https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/issues/748
>
> Doesn't look like there's any fix for this, near as I can tell.
>

> @Sebastian Schoenherr:  which version of Whirr are you using (and/or
> which Ubuntu AMI base) that you're able to successfully launch Ubuntu
> instances using whirr.login-user?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DR
>
> On 09/16/2012 11:34 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>> Hmmmm ... no luck.  I've tried now with whirr.bootstrap-user,
>> whirr.login-user (which whirr tells me is now deprecated in favor of
>> whirr.bootstrap-user), and with no user at all.  Result is always the
>> same:  instances start up, but whirr fails to initialize them.  The
>> whirr log shows the following error message (which apparently indicates
>> an ssh login failure):
>>
>> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Invalid packet: indicated length
>> 1349281121 too large
>>
>> And on the nodes, I keep seeing Ubuntu starting up a process that echo's
>> the following message:  Please login as the user "ubuntu" rather than
>> the user "root".
>>
>> So it seems that somehow whirr keeps trying to login as root and
>> failing.  Not sure why.
>>

>> The Ubuntu AMI I'm using is based off of one provided by the Ubuntu
>> project itself.  Specifically ami-4fad7426.  (See this page for more
>> details:  http://cloud.ubuntu.com/ami/)
>>
>> Anyone have any idea what might be going wrong here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> DR
>>
>> On 09/16/2012 03:48 PM, Sebastian Schoenherr wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>> try to set: whirr.login-user=ubuntu and skip the bootstrap-user.
>>> works for me,
>>> Chers Sebsatian

is