whirr-user mailing list archives

From "David Rosenstrauch" <dar...@darose.net>
Subject Problems using whirr to launch ubuntu machines
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2012 16:51:39 GMT
We've been using whirr to launch instances of the (redhat-based) Amazon
AMI, which has been working.  However, I'm now trying to switch to
launching an ubuntu-based AMI, and I'm running into problems.

Ubuntu, as you might recall, doesn't allow you to log in directly as root.
 Rather, you log in as user ubuntu, and then sudo to root.  This is
causing problems when whirr tries to set up my data nodes.

I've configured whirr to use "ubuntu" as the bootstrap user, which seems
to work fine initially.  But after a short while in the installation
process, it fails.  And when I go onto the data node machine to watch
what's happening, I see that something (most likely whirr) is trying to
login as root.  So I'm fairly certain that's what's causing the
installation to fail.

Is there a way around this issue?

Thanks,

DR