whirr-user mailing list archives

From allen <allen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems using whirr to launch ubuntu machines
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:16:59 GMT
Andrew Bayer <andrew.bayer@gmail.com> wrote:Hmm - I'd guess it's the platform type, but
there could be some other AMI flag - I'll check in the jclouds code.

A.

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose@darose.net> wrote:
OK, I think I have some clue what's happening here.

When I launch my cluster using the stock Ubuntu AMI (e.g., ami-4fad7426) everything works
fine.  But when I launch using my own AMI which I've based off of that, it fails.

I think the reason is that Whirr/jclouds is able to determine that the stock instance is running
Ubuntu (and so login using the correct user name) and it's not able to determine that about
mine.

Anyone know how Whirr/jclouds is determining that the OS type is Ubuntu?  Is it the presence
of the text "ubuntu" in the "source" attribute on EC2?  (e.g., "099720109477/ubuntu/images/hvm/ubuntu-precise-12.04-amd64-server-2012042")
 My AMI doesn't mention "ubuntu" in its source/name.  Or is it because the EC2 "platform"
type is "Ubuntu Cloud Guest"?  (In my AMI, the platform type appears as "Other Linux".)  Is
there any way I can force Whirr/jclouds and tell it that my AMI is based on Ubuntu?

Thanks,

DR