whirr-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Whirr with Openstack
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:16:06 GMT
On 13 February 2013 16:23, Andrew Freitas <afreitas@digitalsmiths.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We've been using Whirr for a while now with Amazon's EC2 service but we
> would like to switch over to using a private cloud service maintained by
> Openstack. I know jclouds supports it, but I can't find any details (e.g.
> provider name) for whirr support of openstack. It would be simplest for us
> to continue using Whirr only with a private cloud provider, but we need to
> know if Whirr supports Openstack (or if there is another better provider
> option) before continuing. Any guidance is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
>
> -yes it works; for a while rackspace UK did some throttling,

whirr.provider=rackspace-cloudservers-uk
whirr.identity=yourusername
whirr.credential=aabbccddeeff

#my custom image
whirr.image-id=LON/859b3af3-abbc-4fdd-a8be-ff4d03de6a1f

We had some problems with rackspace UK throttling requests and blocking the
operation, but that's been resolved with the help of Rackspace (which shows
they do care)

I think the US provider name is rackspace-cloudservers

There is some ongoing work for Hadoop integration directly with OpenStack's
Swift blobstore, of which my branch lives up at :
https://github.com/hortonworks/Hadoop-and-Swift-integration.

You can follow its progress on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-8545 ; when done you'll be
able to add a new JAR to hadoop/lib -or include it in jobs- to move data
between HDFS and  Swift.