whirr-user mailing list archives

From Swathi V <swatz...@gmail.com>
Subject mapred.child.java.opts is set to a different value in the job file
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:17:54 GMT
Hi All ,
While launching a cluster of CDH4 MRv1 from whirr-0.8.1, I had set the
following properties for heap size, as follows:
*mapred.child.java.opts=-Xmx800M
mapred.map.child.java.opts=-Xmx800M
mapred.reduce.child.java.opts=-Xmx800M*
So in the /etc/hadoop/conf/mapred-site.xml, I could see all these reflected.

AFAIK, mapred.child.java.opts is *deprecated* and so I had explicitly set
*mapred.{map|reduce}.child.java.opts* while launching the cluster.

However, while executing a job, I witnessed that the Job file (job.xml) of
a particular job, had
*mapred.child.java.opts=-Xmx200m* [ *not* as in mapred-site]
mapred.map.child.java.opts=-Xmx800M [as in mapred-site]
mapred.reduce.child.java.opts=-Xmx800M [as in mapred-site]

 I have not set anything from the command line.
My question is why is it set to a different value other than the one set in
mapred-site.xml ? Is this an issue or have I missed anything or my
understanding is wrong?

I appreciate any help in this regard.

Thank You.

- Regards,