whirr-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Freudensprung <bruno.freudenspr...@temis.com>
Subject SSH authentication problems with BYON cluster
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:48:30 GMT
Hi,

This week I wanted to give the (exciting) "byon" whirr feature a try, so I started with the
zookeeper-byon.properties recipe and experienced some authentication problems.

To make the long story short, I have the impression that the only supported configuration
is running the whirr client as a "root" user, and have a byon yaml file containing only "root"
usernames. Would you say it is correct? Have you managed to get a different configuration
working?

I guess I must have started with a non trivial configuration:
- I am running the whirr 0.8.2 client on Ubuntu 12.04 as my "bruno" user ("root" user not
enabled)
- target machine is a Fedora 20 having both a "bruno" sudoer user, and a "root" user.

There are 2 different problems, in both cases here is my recipe file:

whirr.cluster-name=zookeeper
whirr.instance-templates=1 zookeeper
whirr.service-name=byon
whirr.provider=byon
whirr.identity=notused
whirr.credential=notused
jclouds.byon.endpoint=file:///${sys:user.home}/.whirr/fedoravm-byon.yaml
whirr.private-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa
whirr.public-key-file=${whirr.private-key-file}.pub
whirr.zookeeper.tarball.url=http://192.168.1.11/zookeeper-3.3.3.tar.gz

The simple case is with a fedoravm-byon.yaml file like this (contains "root" username):

nodes:
    - id: bobcat
      hostname: 192.168.1.28
      os_arch: x86_64
      os_family: fedora
      os_description: fedora
      os_version: 20
      group: root
      username: root
      credential_url: file:///home/bruno/.ssh/id_rsa

In this case the whirr deployment is successful only if I create a /usr/local/whirr-0.8.2/conf/whirr-default.properties
based on the original one (contained in /usr/local/whirr-0.8.2/lib/whirr-core-0.8.2.jar) and
comment out this line:
whirr.cluster-user=${sys:user.name}
... otherwise my "bruno" user (the ubuntu one running whirr client) overrides the "root" user
mentioned in the yaml file.

Did I do something wrong?

Now the tricky case is with a fedoravm-byon.yaml file like this (contains "bruno" username,
and the additional sudo password):

nodes:
    - id: bobcat
      hostname: 192.168.1.28
      os_arch: x86_64
      os_family: fedora
      os_description: fedora
      os_version: 20
      group: bruno
      username: bruno
      credential_url: file:///home/bruno/.ssh/id_rsa
      sudo_password: bruno

I've never managed to get this one working because the sudo_password is erased - cf 'null'
below - (indeed the whirr-default.properties does not contain any password) and I get this
error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: error running [echo 'null'|sudo
-S /tmp/init-stop-zookeeper start] as bruno@192.168.1.28; returnVal !=0: {output=[sudo] password
for bruno: Sorry, try again.

Once again: did I do something wrong?

Thanks a lot for any hint :-)