whirr-user mailing list archives

From Marco Didonna <m.didonn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: whirr version returns can't find main
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2014 14:18:15 GMT
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Michael Oczkowski <
Michael.Oczkowski@seeq.com> wrote:

>  I downloaded Whirr 0.8.2 (also 0.8.1) on my Ubuntu 14.04 machines
> running OpenJDK 6.  When I run bin/whirr version, the result is:
>

> ubuntu@ip:~/Programs/Whirr/whirr-0.8.2-src$ bin/whirr version

> org/apache/whirr/cli/Main
>
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.whirr.cli.Main
>
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)

>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
>
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323)
>
>         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
>
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268)
>
> Could not find the main class: org.apache.whirr.cli.Main. Program will
> exit.

You seem to have downloaded the source only version of whirr. Therefore you
need to compile it first in order to run the whirr command. If you want to
save yourself the trouble just download the binary version: it's a ~25MB
archive (for example
http://it.apache.contactlab.it/whirr/whirr-0.8.2/whirr-0.8.2.tar.gz)

> One one of the machines I did mvn install in the Whirr 0.8.2 root
> directory where all tests passed and it built.  Afterwards, when I run bin/whirr
> version there, the result is:
>
> Apache Whirr ${project.version}
>
> Jclouds 1.5.8
>

> Any idea what’s happening?  Thanks!

I don't get it: on some machine you did execute the compile command, on
others you forgot to do so? :)