Hi Stefan,
Sometimes you need to add a capable writer to deal with specific data types. I am not sure if this is the same case for you but in my case I had a similar problem with JSON in my REST service and I solved it by adding the following to the web.xml file:

      <init-param>

             <param-name>com.sun.jersey.api.json.POJOMappingFeature</param-name>

             <param-value>true</param-value>

</init-param>

I hope this can be useful for you.

Best