wink-user mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: InputStream & async examples
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 07:50:36 GMT
On 05/06/2013 20:48, Luciano Resende wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò
> <ilgrosso@apache.org <mailto:ilgrosso@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/06/2013 10:36, Francesco Chicchiriccň wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>         I am currently evaluating Wink for a new project.
>
>         I have been playing around with some samples and it seems
>         linear to me.
>         I am not completely convinced, however, of async usage; this
>         is how I have managed to get it working:
>
>                 AsyncHttpClient asyncHttpClient = new AsyncHttpClient();
>                 RestClient client = new RestClient(new
>         AsyncHttpClientConfiguration(asyncHttpClient));
>
>                 Resource resource =
>         client.resource("http://services.odata.org/v3/(S(sn4zeecdefwvblk2xxlk425x))/OData/OData.svc/Products
>         <http://services.odata.org/v3/%28S%28sn4zeecdefwvblk2xxlk425x%29%29/OData/OData.svc/Products>");
>
>                 AtomFeed feed =
>         resource.contentType("application/atom+xml").accept("application/atom+xml").get(AtomFeed.class);
>                 asyncHttpClient.close();
>
>                 for (AtomEntry entry : feed.getEntries()) {
>                     System.out.println(entry.getTitle().getValue());
>                 }
>
>         Is this the correct usage? Isn't there any way to get
>         something like Future<AtomFeed> instead?
>
>         Moreover, I was also looking for a way to get an InputStream
>         out of a response, to delay processing: is this possible?
>

>     I guess I've found (this seems to work):
>
>             RestClient client = new RestClient(new
>     ApacheHttpClientConfig(new DefaultHttpClient()));
>
>             Resource resource =
>     client.resource("http://localhost:8080/Northwind/Northwind.svc/Categories(1)
>     <http://localhost:8080/Northwind/Northwind.svc/Categories%281%29>");
>
>             ClientResponse response =
>     resource.accept(MediaType.APPLICATION_ATOM_XML).get();
>             InputStream is = response.getEntity(InputStream.class);
>             System.out.println("********* " + response.getStatusCode());
>             StringWriter writer = new StringWriter();
>             IOUtils.copy(is, writer);
>             System.out.println(writer.toString());
>
>     I have also been able to create an entry (e.g. POST) only
>     providing InputStream: definitely nice.
>
>     I'll keep investigating for the Future<T> stuff...
>

> It would be great if you could provide some extra documentation on our
> wiki or any enhanced examples.

Hi Luciano,
what kind of documentation are you thinking about? Could you also
provide some coordinate under which I should create a new page / update
an existing page? My ASF confluence userid is 'ilgrosso', BTW.

About the Future<T> investigation, I've developed a quick example using
Commons HttpAsyncClient 4.0-beta4 [1]: it looks more like a hack, but it
works more or less this way:

         RestClient client = new RestClient(new
ApacheHttpAsyncClientConfig());

         Resource resource =
client.resource("http://services.odata.org/v3/(S(sn4zeecdefwvblk2xxlk425x))/OData/OData.svc/Products");
         FutureClientResponse response = (FutureClientResponse)
resource.accept(MediaType.APPLICATION_ATOM_XML).get();

         System.out.println("XXXXXXXXXXX " + response.isDone());

         AtomFeed feed = response.get().getEntity(AtomFeed.class);

e.g. FutureClientResponse implements both Future<ClientResponse> and
ClientResponse

I am not fully satisfied of this result (explicit cast to
FutureClientResponse, for example...) but it proves at least that it
could be done.

A possible cleaner extension is to add a new Resource#get() (similar to
what CXF does [2]), but I am not familiar at all with Wink's internals...

As soon as I found enough spare time, I'll push my sample to github.
Keep you posted.

Regards.

[1] http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-asyncclient-dev/
[2]