ws-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Initial projects under WS-Commons
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:19:24 GMT
Ted Leung wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> I have a little multicast discovery protocol lurking in
>> Axis/addons/discovery; an XML version of SLP with integration with
>> Axis to
>> autopublish all registered Axis URLs against their namespace URIs. If we
>> were to add, say XML-RPC support we'd have a broader web service
>> discovery
>> mechanism, though nowadays I am minded more towards Rendezvous as the
>> right
>> approach.
>>
>> Anyone in for adding a Rendezvous implementation in Java with bindings to
>> our WS stacks?
>>

> I like this idea, but the only Java Rendezvous stack (Strangeberry) is
> LGPL'd.

Didnt know about that stack; I have been trying to bring up a linux
version. From what I have seen of the source, mDNS is actually a pretty
simple protocol, with only the few timing rules to make the code complex.

It wouldnt take that long to write a new server impl, with instant bind
to Axis & the other stacks, so that our web services are instantly
discoverable. Interop testing is a different game.

The other thing to add for rendezvous support is seamless integration of
mDNS into the normal Java.net stack, so that URL lookup and socket
binding can use it all. That would be nice, but not necessary.

-steve