ws-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: webservices.apache.org should point to minotaur
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:17:22 GMT
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> I'm confused - are webservices.apache.org and ws.apache.org
> different boxes?? What's the rationale for that? Why do we need
> two separate places - I understand having one as a CNAME for the
> other but that's it.

webservices.apache.org should redirect to ws.apache.org because it's
generally bad form to have two URLs that refer to the same piece of
content.  It pollutes proxies and search engines, for example, and every
time you bring up a new service you need to do so for both hostnames.  If
the canonical name for the project is "ws.apache.org", and "webservices"
is provided as a favor for those who can remember that, that's fine.

	Brian