ws-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: now and in next year ... [Re: Change CVS module names (Next week)]
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:53:12 GMT
Aleksander Slominski wrote:

> hi,
>
> that is a BIG change for lot of people using AXIS and having CVS checked
> out. is it possible to transition this change into two steps:
> 1. new modules are created but aliases for old modules are still present
> 2. after _few_ months (next year?) and and multiple announcements that
> include how to convert local CVS module name old modules names are removed.

It is *not* that big of a change.  All one generally needs to do is
commit all of one's changes and do a fresh checkout.

Two things to note:

If you have a large number of existing files modified in an existing
checkout and you are not prepared to commit them, all that you need to
do is to update the various CVS/Root files with the new name.  I
typically use Perl to do this, but there are existing tools that can
help, for example:
http://cvs-tools.sourceforge.net/cvsed.html

Alternately, if you can commit your changes, but simply want to obtain a
fresh checkout using a directory name other than the one on the server,
use the -d parameter on the cvs checkout command, for example:

cvs -d :ext:aslom@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout -d xml-axis ws-axis

After either of these are done, you can continue to do cvs updates and
commits normally.

> thanks,
>
> alek

- Sam Ruby