ws-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: now and in next year ... [Re: Change CVS module names (Next week)]
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 18:10:25 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Aleksander Slominski wrote:
>
>> that is a BIG change for lot of people using AXIS and having CVS
>> checked out. is it possible to transition this change into two steps:
>> 1. new modules are created but aliases for old modules are still present
>> 2. after _few_ months (next year?) and and multiple announcements
>> that include how to convert local CVS module name old modules names
>> are removed.
>
> It is *not* that big of a change. All one generally needs to do is
> commit all of one's changes and do a fresh checkout.
>
> Two things to note:
>
> If you have a large number of existing files modified in an existing
> checkout and you are not prepared to commit them, all that you need to
> do is to update the various CVS/Root files with the new name. I
> typically use Perl to do this, but there are existing tools that can
> help, for example:
> http://cvs-tools.sourceforge.net/cvsed.html

this is easy on UNIX to do but more tricky in windows - it would be
really nice to have such functionality to do switching CVS in windows
tool (i would be happy to find out if there is alreayd such tool?!)

> Alternately, if you can commit your changes, but simply want to obtain
> a fresh checkout using a directory name other than the one on the
> server, use the -d parameter on the cvs checkout command, for example:
>
> cvs -d :ext:aslom@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout -d xml-axis ws-axis

i did not try to do this but i believe that it will not work as CVS
repository location is encoded in CVS/Repository filse and CVS will not
allow to overwrite old locally checked out repository with new reranmed?

> After either of these are done, you can continue to do cvs updates and
> commits normally.

other possibility is to copy files from old location to a freshly
checked out project from new CVS/Root and ignore all CVS/* files during
copy (using cygwin find and piping through xargs).

so there are migration paths but still i see no reason to not leave lot
of time for people to make this change ...

thanks,

alek

--
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. —Mario Andretti