ws-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: now and in next year ... [Re: Change CVS module names (Next week)]
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:11:24 GMT
Aleksander Slominski wrote:

> so there are migration paths but still i see no reason to not leave lot
> of time for people to make this change ...

My experience with this:

1) It actually is real easy to do.  Even on windows (my primary
development platform).

2) Those that are prone to whine, will wait until the last minute.

3) At which point, they will whine anyway.  Just as loud.

My recommendation, for what it is worth:

1) rename the cvs trees on the server immediately.  It is one command.
(Actually, two as you want to provide a cvs link for cvspub)

2) establish a symbolic link for the old name at the same time (this
time it really is only one command).

3) tell people that they symbolic link will stick around for *one week*.

4) delete the symbolic link in two weeks.

- Sam Ruby