ws-dev mailing list archives

From "Ias" <iasan...@tmax.co.kr>
Subject RE: WS Commons again
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:33:09 GMT
> I am not a big fan a lots of little jar files.
So am I. we already have lots of jars in various projects.

> What is the driving motivation for this?  Does it solve a
> problem users are having?

Apparently, the motivation is from Sun's JWSDP (1.3). When I first saw
their (too) fine-grained jar files, I couldn't understand what they meant.
As I worked with Sun's JAXB, I gradually got to know why they were so
separated.
I'm not sure whether it's a significant problem or not, but guess that
Sun's jax-qname.jar containing only one class, QName is invented for
avoiding duplication. For example, if you use Axis, jUDDI and even JaxMe
toghether, you have three QName classes in your classpath. It may be OK,
however, is not a recommended situation.

I'd like to tell you all that we are now in a transition period of XML and
Web Services development. If we have JAXB 2.0 and JAX-RPC 2.0 requiring
JAXP 1.3, all these problems will disappear. Until that time (I guess
around one year later), I think we should make a good compromise for not
only ourselves but also users of Apache WS. There's a way to remove the
conflict and not to cope with Sun's jars even though we have the same ones,
I believe.

Ias