ws-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: reserved web space for names URIs?
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 15:46:42 GMT
Hi Anne!

> I suggest using the urn: scheme rather than the http: scheme for URIs.

Hmmm. The W3C Tag has "found" a while back that NS URIs be
dereferencible and that they result in some "meaningful description of
the namespace" - hence the need for something like RDDL. See
	http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Architecture#Namespaces

Also, I've bought into the mantra that URNs are evil .. they're flat,
unstructured and unresolvable without global knowledge (and only if
people registered!). In fact many people even write them down wrong -
the syntax is spsed to have urn:foo:bar but must people don't include
the 2nd part. (I'm the one who used urn:foo for the first sample that we
shipped with IBM SOAP (which became Apache SOAP) .. and I've seen many
follow that incorrect example!)

Sanjiva.